A Day in the Life

Conference can be both energising and exhausting. The buzz of being with so many like minded people and the stimulation of so many political discussions keep you going. But the timetable of a delegate who wants to make the most of the occasion is punishing.

My typical day began with the first fringe meeting at 8:00am. Choosing carefully means that the fringe provided good coffee and pastries as well as a meaty topic for debate. So Monday morning found me at an event hosted by The Times  featuring Angela Rayner, the shadow education secretary.

By 9:15 I was in my place for the conference session. As a delegate I feel a responsibility to be in the hall throughout. Still there is time for the odd tea break, especially when old friends and comrades from past campaigns turn up in the hall. The pace of conference rarely flagged; speeches from the floor were passionate and well informed and the front bench gave some of the most inspiring addresses I've heard. (I would single out Emily Thornberry's as a highlight.)

Lunchtime was another rush round the fringe. Delegates leaving the hall are usually too late for the snacks on offer, as I was when I got to the fringe on co-ops. I managed a bite in the Musicians Union meeting as well as learning something about what Brexit means for the music industry. There was still time to look in on the fringe meeting organised by the Foundation for European Progressive Studies, a think tank well known to Brussels Labour. Sadly I had to leave to get back to the conference hall before Emily Thornberry spoke to the meeting.

The afternoon sessions kicked off at 2:15 with more debates, speeches and votes. Monday's session ended early to allow delegate to attend smaller seminar meetings with the front bench. These followed the pattern of National Policy Forum commissions and the issues raised will be taken up in NPF commission meetings in a few weeks after Conference.

At 5:30 the next round of fringe meetings got underway. This time CLASS the newish trade union backed think tank were pushing the case for financial transaction taxes. John Mc Donnell turned up to lend his support.

In the evening there are formal dinners, receptions and parties. I chose instead to track down other LI members to eat together. With our CLP we need to take all the opportunities we can to get to know each other.

If that sounds busy, I still haven't mentioned the tour of the exhibition where trade unions and campaign groups have their stalls, visiting the Labour Party shop or the book signings at the bookshop.

Attending conference can be a full on experience. I'm hooked and I keep going back.

Comments